Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Ramadan

This past week I went with my friends to go break the fast with the local Muslim community in Provo at Ramadan.  It was actually a very neat experience.  Muslims fast all day and then eat only at night and break their fast with prayer, recitation, and good food!  To start we had a prayer said then we ate dates, hummus and pita bread.  The we all adjourned to another room where they did their uniformed prayer and it was really neat, I can only imagine actually being around all the millions and millions, because it was pretty powerful with just the 30 or so Muslims. Then we went back to our tables for rice, meat, vegetables and dessert.  It is really interesting to be a part of another religions tradition, and to know that essentially we all believe in a greater being where it is Allah or God.
The people I went from the left to the right is Gabe, Tyler Phillps, and Tyler Haws (apparently he is a big basketball player out here and I had no clue so when I first met him I asked him what his name was and he said Tyler Haws-well thinking it was weird he gave me his first and last name when he asked me mine, I responded, "I'm Lori Barnes".  I should really get to know BYU a little bit better so I know who are "star" athletes so I do not look like such a dope. =) )
But it was a really fun evening and a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment