Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sister and Soccer

On our way to church this morning our conversation veered toward the topic of soccer and we spent a few minutes reminiscing of Lisa and I playing together on the same soccer team-Comets. Some moments were happy, some were frustrating and some were sad, but overall I think that we both enjoyed having each other around. Once I moved out of my forward position to center mid Lisa and I connected much more. She is fast and I was accurate so I knew that she could get to my through ball and she knew that I could get a good pass to her so she could run on to it.





Lisa makes a really good shot off a breakaway and I run up to her to congratulate her.  One of the many pros to being on the same team as your sister is you always have someone who is right there to give you a big hug after you do something great.
Heres us again just supporting one another again.
This video I really like because this team we played was the number one team the previous year and we ended up tying in the end, but it was the toughest game we had played at the Aiken tournament. But when I go after this one girl who has the ball I cannot get it from her so I call for help and no later than a few seconds the first person to show up (and notice how she comes in) is Lisa.  She comes in with all gusto to help and get the ball and we end up together in the end stopping the ball from advancing forward.

Soccer has held my heart for many years.  I have loved playing it since I was little and it was a dream of mine to play in college.  After I had injured myself the first time I took it really hard.  When I got infection I got even worst and thought my life was over. 

This ended up being the season ending play where I tore my ACL and meniscus the first time.

The second time I tore my Acl and meniscus I put on a brave face but was not really happy.  It actually was not until this fourth surgery that I actually accepted it and I am actually not that sad.  Will I miss playing soccer....well of course. I love it and it made me 100% happy, but something that has become a new love and focus of mine is sharing my knowledge of the game with others.  I get to coach at the high school again this year and I find this as rewarding as playing.  Another thing that I love to do now is watch others do well, I used to get jealous of others who got to play, but I really look forward to watching Lisa and Katie, both well deserving captains of thier teams do well in their own soccer careers.  I am grateful for the 13 years and few months here and there I got to play but now I get to enjoy the rest of my life cheering on my siblings and eventually, if they want, my own kids. 
But since I played mostly with Lisa I would like to say thanks for the great memories.  I ended my career great because you made it so.  When others did not care to welcome me back to the game you always were the one to run over in a few seconds and help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment